R e n o v a t i o n  J o u r n a l  2 0 20

 

Part 5 ~ A l m o s t  S u m m e r

 

 

 

Chapter 27 ~ The Tr a c k

(May 2020)

 

If there is one thing that I have constantly postponed, it is the approach to the station area and the track below.

All too long I had no clue how to do it right. It should not become too idyllic, that's for sure.

At the same time it should not lose the time-typical atmosphere either!

 

Thanks to a friend who convincedly pushed me in the right direction, I started last week...

 

 

The small track near the ramp at the right was the first to tackle. It was already pretty desolate and deprecated. However, dunno if this is what I want...

 

 

Then there are the two fields on both ends of the platform.

Some 30 years ago I used white sand and greenish Woodland blend turf.  Now it looks run down and dull.

So, I found my can with brown Woodland gravel, just enough to fill both ends. 

 

 

 

 

I put some Heki Lasurfarbe in the whiteglue to obtain a weathered layer on this rusty gravel. Didn't work out as plannend...

 

 

Then the topping. Green bushes, a few touches of white sand...  

 

 

 

... and testing the effect.  

 

Looks not too bad, but still I have my doubts on the whole...

 

While I was in conclave with a friend about the color scheme, he advised me to still use a darker shade of gravel for the rest of the track.

There was some 400 grams of Heki Porphyr (Nr. 1372) at hand, but I must say that I began to apply it with great restraint.

At first all looked suddenly like a modern railway. It shouldn't look too newish...

 

 

When gravel got into the change handle, the stuff broke off. Then all out... looks so much better.

The lid to secure the turnout is hid under the gravel. 

 

 

 

 

I used Märklin 4627 (Glmmehs 57, 1983-1986) with large wheel flanges to 'clear' the track of loose gravel.

 

 

 

 

Then, the valley was at stake!

Although most of the fieldwork was done, I still had to take care of the edge next to the track,

as well as the small 'islet' with pine tree near the river bed.

 

   

Here, I removed the turnout lever as well.

 

 

And yes, because I could not reach into the the tunnel from the front, I had to work with a mirror. Felt like a dentist...

 

 

 

Some finer gravel was added near the river bank...

 

 

 

And the pine tree is back in place.

 

Cosy...

 

Then back to the front... 

 

 

 

Here's the spot where once stood a lovely tree...  

 

 

 

But it will come back, be it transformed!

 

Finally, two 'rocks' were cut away. This will become a slope with trees...  

 

 

Well, that's it for now!

 

 

 

Thanks for watching. 

 

 

 

Chapter 28 ~ A t  t h e  L o r e l e i  T u n n e l

(May 2020)

 

Now that the track is being thoroughly renovated, I think it is time to also tackle the nature reserve around the Lorelei tunnel entrance.

As you may have noticed, I made a circumferential movement from left to right during the renovation.

Starting from the city, it went to hunting lodge and from there to the castle.

On the left was the deciduous forest, around the castle a beautiful pine forest.

In between, a new extension to the rear. And finally then: the front.

 

Let's visit the site...

 

 

What bothered me for years was this piece of wall on the right.

For some reason, it has slipped during mounting.

 

 

The nice thing about renovating is that every 'annoyance' is a signal for improvement.

Indeed, a bit - or better: a good bit! - philosophy is certainly involved.

 

 

So I started the Lorelei Adventure some days ago with removing it.

 

 

 

I intended to use some leftover grass (Busch 1305) at the bottom. But I left that out for a while...

 

 

After a spray of water, soap and alcohol, followed by a layer of white glue...  and creativity can start again!

 

 

 

 

 

 

Some detailing work: 

 

 

A small nail was needed to fixing  the switch...

 

 

... while some hanging foliage adorned the rocks

 

 

 

Now, what realy makes this site is the B i g  T r e e.

As you will remember, in March 2019 it looked like this:

 

  

I stripped this tree trunk of its foliage...

 

 

 

...  and made new branches with Seemos.

 

 

 

Under and around the tree there will be a ground covering of soil, leaf debris, weeds, vegetation and not to forget:

'wear spots' (white sand) where sheep and other animals pass by...

 

 

Good tools, sufficient material, your own skills and a lot of imagination - that's what it's all about.

 

 

On the other side of the track I also wanted to add something of a brush, so that the tunnel blends more into nature.

I started with a solitary birch tree. But only after adding some small bushes around the trunk, I knew: this is it!

Again, it's not something that you plan in advance, but it's trial and error, yet, try again and you'll  succeed.

 

 

 

So far the Lorelei Tunnel.  

 

 

Considering how it all started...  (14.6.2002)

 

... and now is!

 

T o  B e  C o n t i n u e d

~~~

Frits Osterthun © 23.5.2020