How the most neglected part of my layout became a gem!
Ever since I started working on my layout of the Cochemer Bahn, there were some areas I didn't take notice of for many years.
One of them is this piece of mountain.
Let's call it... Down Hill .
It is a separate part which can be taken out for convenience if ever I have to dismantled the upper layer with town for reasons of transportation.
While running through my photo files, I discovered that I had a huge make-over
of several natural parts of the Cochemer Bahn, including Down Hill on November 30th 2004,
November 30th, 2004
Although not yet finished in the way I had in mind, it didn't look so bad for the time being.
However, since I started making pine trees for the 'Black Forest' behind the castle last week (see the special report!),
I considered that today was a good moment for a try-out-of-skills on this small piece of mountain, before doing the greater work.
What was there to be spoiled?!
Even if I had no specific plans how to work things out or what would become of it...
while collecting all kinds of materials an putting it on the table...
I simply started with painting that stupid wall. I still don't remember why I put it there!
I guess for reasons of forbidden boredom!
To begin with... a cup of tea!
I started simple, by painting the bricks yellow with the intention of working outwards, not even thinking of the next step!
But after the first step came another, and another, untill all of a sudden I got the hang of it,
loosing myself for hours in creating miniatures. I must have tapped some hidden source...
This wall at the foot of a small hill top might collapse in time... therefor these wooden beams are to prevent unforseen landsliding
Pièce-de-résistance: planting my first pine tree
in the hole that has been dug one-and-a half decade ago!
The second challenge: "Waldrand"
In the past I used small pieces of Busch Waldrand ("edge of the wood").
For some reason it either didn't fit or I just lacked the right feeling to apply it properly.
But today, only one thing counts: "Just dew it!"
This lower part of Down Hill seemed fit for some experiment with the 'Waldrand'.
One dead tree trunk still standing, while another submitted to gravity...
Perhaps this spot calls for some deer or swine!
My work bench today!
Well, that' s it for now!
* * *
Today I finished Down-Hil l, more or less.
Again my tabel is filled...
Let's start at the left hand side. White glue as fixing layer for the undergrowth
With the recently purchased 'Seemoss' I make some bushes to give depth and dimension
At the right side, this pine tree still needs to be fixed with glue
Most satisfying, if I may say so...
With orignal sand of the dunes (near the Roestelberg) and small sheaves of grass I do the finishing touch
Tomorrow I will focus on the layout itself, to enhance continuity with the surrounding area.
Saturday, Febr. 16th
As said, today I want to implement the separate part of Down HIll into the environment.
You may judge for yourselve if I succeeded.
But as it goes, braking preceeds building.
My office today
Alas, I have to remove most of the flora, since dust dust got the upper hand on all the flora
There you go...
Now I have to bridge this gap
Since I still have to do some basic paiting on the rocks and get rid of the white styrofoam edges, I rushed to the shop to do some groceries...
Now the real work can begin. And it all starts with... white glue!
It looks great, but now I'm getting annoyed because of the 'plastic' tunnel... but I will get to that later!
Even the 'Waldrand' needs an edge...
...and here it is!
The small hill top calls for a bich tree.
At the end of the afternoon, I decided to give it a shot! Real 'stone' it will be!
Although I prefer to paint right out of the box, then again, I have to deal with the situation as it is.
All the old and colorless ivy in the arcades has to be removed
And here's the whole thing.
To not endthis day too black, here's a colorful shot of the new area.
I added some reddish brown 'autumn' colors for variety.
April 1st 2019: repainting the tunnel with yellow and a drybrush topping...