R e n o v a t i o n  J o u r n a l

 

 

Chapter 5.1 ~ Tr a c k  A d j u s t m e n t s

(May 2020)

 

 

If there is one thing that I have constantly postponed, it is the approach to the station area and the track below.

All too long I had no clue how to do it right. It should not become too idyllic, that's for sure.

At the same time, it should not lose the time-typical atmosphere either!  

Thanks to a friend who convincedly pushed me in the right direction, I started last week...

 

 

The small track near the ramp at the right was the first to tackle. It was already pretty desolate and deprecated. However, dunno if this is what I want...

 

 

Then there are the two fields on both ends of the platform.

Some 30 years ago I used white sand and greenish Woodland blend turf. Now it looks run down and dull.

So, I found my can with brown Woodland gravel, just enough to fill both ends. 

 

 

 

 

I put some Heki Lasurfarbe in the white glue to obtain a weathered layer on this rusty gravel. Didn't work out as planned...

 

 

Then the topping. Green bushes, a few touches of white sand...  

 

 

 

... and testing the effect.  

 

Looks not too bad, but still I have my doubts on the whole...

 

While I was in conclave with a friend about the colour scheme, he advised me to still use a darker shade of gravel for the rest of the track.

There was some 400 grams of Heki Porphyr (Nr. 1372) at hand, but I must say that I began to apply it with great restraint.

At first all looked suddenly like a modern railway. It shouldn't look too newish...

 

 

When gravel got into the change handle, the stuff broke off. Then all out... looks so much better.

The lid to secure the turnout is hid under the gravel.  

 

 

 

 

I used Märklin 4627 (Glmmehs 57, 1983-1986) with large wheel flanges to 'clear' the track of loose gravel.

 

 

 

 

Then, the valley was at stake!

Although most of the fieldwork was done, I still had to take care of the edge next to the track,

as well as the small 'islet' with pine tree near the river bed.

 

   

Here, I removed the turnout lever as well.

 

 

And yes, because I could not reach into the tunnel from the front, I had to work with a mirror. Felt like a dentist...

 

 

 

Some finer gravel was added near the river bank...

 

 

 

And the pine tree is back in place.

 

Cosy...

 

Then back to the front... 

 

 

 

Here's the spot where once stood a lovely tree...  

 

 

 

But it will come back, be it transformed!

 

Finally, two 'rocks' were cut away. This will become a slope with trees...  

 

 

Well, that's it for now!

Thanks for watching so far. 

 

 

~~~

Frits Osterthun © 26.7.2020

Last updat: 24.1.2023